If you have extreme difficulty in receiving dental treatment, Dr. Remington Townsend or Dr. Jacob Condon may recommend general anesthesia to help you receive the treatments you need without complications. General anesthesia induces sleep, allowing you to wake up with your dental work completed. Our dentists may recommend general anesthesia for:
- Children who cannot relax or calm down in order to receive treatment
- Procedures that are difficult to perform while patients are awake (such as oral surgical treatments)
- Patients with extreme dental anxiety or fear
- Patients with an extreme gag reflex
- Individuals who need extensive dental work completed in a single appointment
- Patients with special needs or disabilities which prevent them from understanding directions and receiving treatment safely
General anesthesia is usually administered through injection or inhalation. We will also use a local anesthetic to ensure that you remain numb upon waking and stay comfortable while the general anesthetic wears off.
If you receive general anesthesia, you will need to bring someone with you to your appointment who can drive you home safely, and have someone available to stay with you afterwards while your recover.
Our dentists and team will provide pre- and post-anesthesia instructions to help ensure a safe and successful treatment, and to aid in your recover following your procedure.
If you have any questions about general anesthesia in Billings, Montana, and to schedule an appointment with our experienced dentists, call Remington Family Dental today at 406-655-4210.