Oral health hazards come in various ways. The most common known danger to our teeth is sugar. However, did you know that other things could damage your teeth and gums too? Yes, it’s true!
Our dentist, Dr. Remington Townsend, takes your oral health seriously. That is why our team at Remington Family Dental in Billings, Montana, wants to help you understand the oral health hazards that you may face in your day.
Here is a list of oral health threats to watch out for:
– Tobacco use: Tobacco is known to increase your odds of multiple cancers in your body, especially your lungs and throat. Tobacco also annoys the gum tissues and welcomes bacteria and other chemicals in your mouth.
– Poor oral hygiene: If you neglect your oral health, you are putting your teeth and gums at risk of tooth loss and gum disease which could lead to bone loss.
– Biting your nails: Biting your nails puts a problematic strain on your teeth and jaw and can lead to problems like temporomandibular joint disorder, which is a condition with the two joints that move your jaw up and down when you talk or eat causing them to lock or become tight.
– Chewing on pencils or pen caps: Chewing on pencils and pens can chip and crack your teeth, which is why it’s better to chew on something gentler like sugarless gum.
– Tongue piercings: Tongue piercings can cause devastating nerve damage and damage to your teeth that could be painful.
– Chewing on ice: Ice is a very solid substance that can injure your teeth and gums, which is why it’s best to not chew on it.
If you have a damaged tooth or feel the need to see a dentist for your checkup, please call us today at 406-545-0035 to make an appointment. Our friendly and professional dental team is happy to help you and looks forward to your visit.